While foundation repair is not the most exciting remodeling project, it is one of the most important home renovations that a homeowner might face. If you have the sinking feeling that you may have a foundation issue, read on to learn about how home leveling can relieve your concerns.
Signs a Home Needs a Foundation Fix
Because the entire weight of a home rests on the foundation, it is vital to maintain it to keep your home structurally sound. Unfortunately, the foundation can be easy to neglect—since it’s out of sight, it’s usually out of mind. Watch for these clues that hint at a troubled foundation:
- The home appears unlevel from the street
- Cracks or sags in house exterior
- Interior wall and ceiling cracks
- Gaps or uneven areas in the floor
- Off-kilter doorways or doors that stick
If you notice these issues, it may be time to reach out to Austin remodeling contractors to see if your foundation can be lifted.
Home Leveling and Lifting
Foundations shift for a variety of reasons—unstable soils, root systems, moisture or voids could all potentially play a role. As foundations settle, they may crack, heave or suffer other damage.
Your contractor will take these factors and the type of foundation you have into account to determine the best way to lift your home to its original level. Common ways to lift and level a home include:
- Slabjacking. A grout mix is pumped below a slab foundation to float it back to its original level.
- Polyurethane foam leveling. Polyurethane foam is pumped into the area under the foundation to level and stabilize the home.
- Piering and underpinning. Piers are installed under the home to raise and support the foundation to its original level.
Costs and Timeline to Level Your Home
As with any home improvement, a variety of factors will impact the cost and timeline of your foundation repair. These include:
- Square footage of your home
- Home age and condition
- Level of damage to the foundation
- Impact to plumbing or electrical systems
- Landscaping adjustments
Once your foundation is repaired and your home is on solid footing, however, the relief you feel will make the home leveling project well worth the cost and effort.
Mangum Builders are Austin, TX, home remodeling professionals who go above and beyond to earn our clients’ trust. We understand that your home is in our hands, and we make every effort to handle each job with the utmost care. Contact us today to learn how we go the distance to improve your home.